Every year, one in ten hospital patients develop a healthcare associated infection during their stay in a UK hospital. Approximately 5000 patients die as a direct result of one of these infections. In most cases, these infections are difficult to treat and can complicate any other current or previous illnesses that a patient has, as well as causing distress for the individual and their family.
Taking this course can help tackle the outbreak of infection in hospitals and healthcare settings by helping you understand the causes and spread of infection and how you can help to control it.
Students wishing to undertake the certificate should be aged 19 or over. There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
|Study level||Cost||Additional fees|
|19+||FREE *subject to eligibility checks||There are no additional costs if you meet the eligibility criteria, which will be explained during enrolment.|
You will be added to our Equal platform, where you will be able to access all the learning resources and assessments to complete. You will be allocated your own personal tutor who you can contact throughout your studies. You will be required to work through a series of tasks and activities designed to reinforce the learning process and demonstrate your knowledge. Your personal tutor will then assess your work and provide you with constructive feedback for each unit. All of our award-winning learning resources are of the highest quality and are designed to be engaging and interactive to keep you focused on your learning at all times. This course is available paper-based too on request.
Infection prevention is crucial to saving lives, so this course is of high importance to any existing or new healthcare employees. The information contained in the course is vital to anyone who wishes to work in the healthcare sector in the future.
This course is split into four manageable units:
- Unit 1 Principles of the causes and spread of infection in health care settings
- Unit 2 Principles of the importance of personal hygiene and health in the prevention and control of infection in health care settings
- Unit 3 Principles of decontamination, cleaning and waste management in health care settings
- Unit 4 Principles of infection prevention and control in a health care setting
The benefits for completing this course are:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Improve your adult social care skills to help you create a long-standing career pathway in your chosen industry
- Courses are delivered as distance learning, allowing you to choose when and where to study
- Personal tutors are assigned to ensure you have the support needed to succeed
After successfully completing the course candidates will be able to further their own continuous professional development, which may improve their career prospects or progress to further training. You could also progress on to further study in the field or other Distance Learning programmes.
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.