The Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (Companion Animal) is awarded by VetSkill and has been designed to develop veterinary nurses that have a holistic approach to their work, a passion for making a difference to the lives of animals, and a solid understanding of their professional responsibilities. It covers the following species:
- Guinea Pig
Successful completion of this qualification will enable learners to complete their enrolment with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) and practice as a registered veterinary nurse.
This course is only available to students who are working in an apprenticeship in a veterinary training practice.
You will require a ,inimum of five GCSEs at grades A* - C (or 9 - 4), including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject to undertake this course.
Alternatives such as a Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths or English are also acceptable.
You also meet the following criteria:
- Be employed in an Approved Training Practice as a student veterinary nurse
- Meet RCVS fitness to practice guidance
The course is made up of theory exams and theoretical and practical assessments. Much of your practical evidence will be completed in practice. You will have practical final assessments to complete which will then allow you to become a registered veterinary nurse.
A minimum of five GCSEs at grades 9-4 ( A*-C) are required, including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject.
You must have a position as a student veterinary in an approved training practice as either an apprentice or employee
- British Veterinary Nursing Association (BVNA)
- British Small Animal Veterinary Association (BSAVA)
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)
This qualification will provide you with the practical competence and the underpinning knowledge required to join the RCVS register of Veterinary Nurses as a registered veterinary nurse.
You will study over a 24-month programme and undertake the following units:
- Professional Veterinary Nursing Responsibilities
- Diagnostic Principles
- Principles of Veterinary Nursing Care 1
- Pharmacology and Dispensary Management
- Practical Veterinary Nursing Skills and Professional Behaviours
- Anaesthesia and Theatre Nursing Skills
- Life Stage and Medical Nursing Care and Support
- Principles of Veterinary Nursing Care 2
- Surgical Nursing and Patient Care
On completion of this course, you could progess to a Higher Education course related to veterinary nursing or, alternatively, gain employment in a veterinary surgery or working with animals.
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.