The T Level is an exciting new two-year agricultural programme, developed in collaboration with employers and the equivalent to three A-Levels. The course will prepare students for entry into skilled employment, an apprenticeship, or related technical study through further or higher education.
This qualification is for 16–18 year-old learners, who wish to work within the agriculture, land management and production industry. You will learn the core knowledge and skills needed for entry to a range of agriculture related and land-based occupations.
You will be based at our Kirkley Hall Campus and you will cover topics such as:
- Health and safety
- Working in agriculture
At least five GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade 4-9 are required to enrol on this course, including Maths, English and Science(s).
The course is made up of two components, both of which need to be successfully achieved to attain the technical qualification. These include:
- Core component - graded A*-E
- Livestock production occupational specialism - graded Pass, Merit and Distinction
Assessment is undertaken via a range of methods, including assignments, employer and external-based projects and exams.
The employer-set project ensures students have the opportunity to combine the core knowledge and skills to develop a substantial piece of work in response to an employer set brief.
At the heart of the T Level is the valuable industry experience that will give you the edge over other learners who take a purely academic pathway.
You’ll benefit from the opportunity to:
- Understand the world of work and start networking with potential future employers
- Put your studies into context and practice developing skills in a real work environment
- Gain the experience of being in a workplace setting that lasts at least 45 days
- Check this is the career you want to pursue
- Gain real experience to put on your CV and to talk about at an interview
- Potentially secure a job or apprenticeship with the employer after you have completed your T Level
- Attend your industry placement as day release, block release or a mixture of both - this could also be split across up to two employers
Start your career in the agriculture sector with a T Level programme.
Do you want a practical approach to learning with real on-the-job experience? This could be your next level qualification.
Designed alongside employers, T Levels are a two-year programme that follow GCSEs and could give you a head start towards the career you want. It’s a smart choice to start your career that keeps your future options open.
These qualifications ensure you’ll have the skills and knowledge businesses want and prepares you for:
- Higher Education
As part of this course, you will study a range of modules, including:
Year 1 - Core Content
Students will develop an understanding of a broad range of issues relevant to the sector, including:
- Sustainability, including environmental legislation, sustainable development, climate
- Change and waste management principles
- The principles of biosecurity
- Employment rights and responsibilities and progression opportunities within the sector
- Ethical principles
- The supply chain and principles of stock management
- Business organisations, enterprise skills and project management
- Characteristics protected by equality legislation
- Principles of customer care
- Health and safety
- Information and data
Year 2 - Specialist Content
Livestock Production Pathway:
-Establish conditions for animal breeding
-Rear livestock from birth to production standard
-Optimise livestock production
-Maintain areas surrounding the livestock production environment
City and Guilds
The agriculture, environment and animal care programmes have been built with employers and trade associations to make sure you get the skills needed for your next steps.
This technical qualification focuses on the development of knowledge and skills needed for working in the agriculture, land management and production sector, which will prepare learners to enter the industry through employment or as an apprentice.
Furthermore, the completion of this qualification gives the learner the opportunity to progress onto Higher Education courses and training.
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.