This course will help you understand your duties under the law and help you become a safe and competent pesticide user. You will learn how to :
-Understand of what pesticides are and their ‘field of use’
- Understand state legislation relevant to pesticide application
- Interpret and use label information
- Take the appropriate action to protect yourself and the environment
- Operate equipment
- Apply, store and transport pesticides safely
- Maintain equipment for the application of pesticides to a safe standard
- Dispose of the pesticides and containers safely
- Record information
You should hold a certificate of competence in the following units:
- Level 2 Award in the Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides (PA1)
Verification of these units must be produced prior to the start of the course.
You will be taught using a mix of theory and practical and assessment leading to certification should take place as soon as possible following the successful completion of the training course.
City and Guilds
This course will take place between 9 and 5pm. Days dependent on booking availability.
- Identify applicator controls and components
The aims of the course are:
- Dmonstrate knowledge of liquid flow, action of applicator in filling, application and circulation modes
- Remove, clean and replace a filter
- Demonstrate knowledge of nozzles, preparation of prime mover and equipment
- Demonstrate knowledge of legal requirements and safety regulations
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe driving
- Check for mechanical defects, security of attachment of application mechanisms
- Demonstrate knowledge of lubrication of components
- Demonstrate working knowledge of the functions of the control panel (if applicable)
- Demonstrate knowledge of action to be taken if system fails
- Read and interpret product label (as supplied or approved by the Assessor)
- Select spray volume/spray quality
- Partly fill applicator
- Check boom suspension and break-back devices
- Select and calculate speed
- Calculate required output/volume rate
- Select appropriate nozzle/atomiser and pressure/disc speed
- Check applicator for leaks and spray patterns
- Check anti-drip system demonstrate procedure for replacing blocked nozzles/restrictor
- Set operating pressure
- Check nozzle/atomiser outputs
City and Guilds
You will gain accreditation by completing this course and will be able to work safely with self-propelled, mounted or trailed horizontal boom sprayers to apply pesticides.
You could progress to the Award in Safe Application of Pesticides Using Pedestrian Handheld Equipment PA6 short course to expand your knowledge and skills.
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.