This course is for students over 16 years old who a keen to learn and work in the horticultural sector.
During the programme you will gain practical skills and knowledge around commercial gardening and landscaping. Plant naming, identification, selection and science and using horticultural machinery and tools. You will also have opportunities to complete masterclasses in safe use of machinery and propagation.
The programme includes maths and English and a certain amount of self-study. This will help you become more independent and prepare you for employment in the sector, a further level three course or an apprenticeship.
You will need to have three GCSEs at grade 3 (D) or above, or a relevant level 1 Qualification and be ready to study at level 1 in English and Maths.
|Study level||Cost||Additional fees|
|19+||please enquire||You will need to provide your own stationery and you will be given the opportunity to take part in trips, visits and competitions.|
You will be guided and monitored throughout your study programme and assessed to ensure that you are ready for the “On line” tests in health and Safety and horticultural subject areas covered.
Part of your year you will undertake a synoptic assessment that will assess your skills and knowledge over the whole spectrum of the course.
English and Maths are important life skills that will help you to achieve your best in your studies and progress to your dream career. If you have not already achieved grade 9-4 in GCSE Maths and/ or English at school, we will support you to improve your skills.
3 days per week (with the a fourth day if you require Maths and/ or English)
This Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture Study Programme is for students over 16 years old who a keen to learn and work in the Horticultural sector. During the programme you will gain practical skills and knowledge around commercial gardening and landscaping. Plant naming, identification, selection and science and using horticultural machinery and tools. You will also have opportunities to complete masterclasses in safe use of machinery and propagation. The programme also includes Maths and English (see below) and a certain amount of self-study. This will help you become more independent and prepare you for employment in the sector, a further level three course or an apprenticeship.
- Commercial gardening and landscaping – Carry out seasonal maintenance tasks for gardens, hard landscaping tasks, propagation techniques and design a small garden area.
- Horticultural business practices – Understanding business practices, understanding the sales skills used in horticultural business.
- Care, maintenance and use of tools, equipment and machinery – Understanding safe working principles when using tools, equipment and machinery. Prepare land-based tools, equipment and machinery for use. Use and maintain tools, equipment and machinery.
- Preparation, planting and maintenance of plants – Understand the basic principles of soil and growing media. Cultivate soil and growing media to receive plants. Planting and potting up plants, establish grassed areas from seed and turf and maintain grassed areas.
- Plant naming, identification, selection and science – Understanding the naming of plants, identify and select plants and understanding plant growth and development.
- Working in the horticulture industry – Know the structure of the horticulture industry, know employment rights and responsibilities and understanding the organisation of business.
- Health and safety for the land-based industries – Understand the impact legislation has on land-based industries, understanding risk assessment requirements and safe working practices when working in land-based industries.
City and Guilds
Progression to level 3 Advanced Technical Certificate or Diploma in Horticulture or a horticultural apprenticeship. Many successful students gain employment in the horticultural industry as it offers a wide range of job opportunities in the landscape gardening industry.
Find out everything you need to know about Northumberland College and our exciting range of courses!Pre-register for our next open event
We are the largest further education provider in Northumberland with campuses throughout the county.
Our student transport scheme is available for eligible students to make getting to and from college as easy as possible.
Our extensive re-development programme will create outstanding new facilities.